Sunday, December 31, 2006



The gift of fermentation is truly a miracle. One which I prefer to attribute to Mother Nature rather than a bearded creator, but you take your pick.

In the spirit of these postings, this wonderful Elderflower wine was made using very few and pretty wholesome ingredients. The elderflower really just adds scent and flavour. It was given some body by adding mashed sultanas, and a couple of bananas, I think. Other than that it was sugar and yeast and patience!!

The result is really inspiring. Crystal clear and delicious.

Pearls of Wisdom


I've found these pearls of wisdom in B C A Turner's book 'Home Wine Making and Brewing" from around 1970, aparently the height of home wine making:

"For the blossoming adolescent a little knowledge of wine is the beginning of education for a civilised way of living". Are you listening Cameron and Blair / Brown? There's an alternative to ASBOs here, I think. Mr (or Ms) Turner goes on... "For the middle aged, flagging in the rat race, wine reduces tension, aids digestion restores ego and makes life worthwhile". What more reason do you need? Me, I've got 3 demi's plopping away with the Summer's produce and 2 sugar beet ready to populate the Demijohn which is about to be vacated by the rest of this elderflower.

He also gives this wonderful sage advice, which I'll be sure to remember: "Wine always tastes better when served with company, but the company can influence the wine. To wine lovers you can serve your best wine and know that it will be appreciatedand that the occasion will be enhanced. On other people, good wine can be wasted and you will may be better advised to serve tea, coffee spirits or beer."

5 comments:

dive said...

Yum!
That sure looks good, Pea.
I hope there's still some left after the Christmas festivities.

Spiffy labels, too. Yours?

peahen said...

I'll be sure to save you some. I'm really chuffed. Yes, these first two labels were hand drawn and painted. Rog couldn't understand why I didn't design them and print them from the pooter, but I didn't think it was really in keeping with the 'homemade' aspect of the wine. It took ages, and so they're probably the only 2 labels I'll ever draw!!!

dive said...

Well done you. They're beautiful.

Sassy Sundry said...

We have a great winery around here. We get Elderberry wine, Dandelion wine, Strawberry wine, various and sundry other wines. They make a delicious cider too.

dive said...

Hey! Where's my bread and butter pud? I'm starving!