Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lime Cheesecake


I've finally managed to perfect my cheesecake recipe. I like to make the English-style cheesecake, which is unbaked. I've never been very successful folding in whipped egg-white, and so I leave that out. Some recipes simply use whipped cream and soft cheese, but I find that it doesn't really set, and so serving it gets messy. Some recipes use gelatine, but I've found that too much makes the cheesecake set like a jelly. I've settled on using a very small amount of gelatine, which makes the top of the cake firm but still creamy.

Ingredients
  • Digestive biscuits - 175g
  • Butter - 75g
  • lime - 1 (cut a slice or two and reserve for decoration)
  • full-fat soft cheese - 350g (one and a half 8oz tubs if using 'Philadelphia' type cheese)
  • Whipping cream (whipped until stiff) - 150ml
  • Gelatine - I use the granulated type. 1/4 of a sachet dissolved in a very small amount of hot water and allowed to cool


Method
  1. Put the biscuits into a small plastic bag and get brutal with a rolling pin until they're crumbs
  2. Melt the butter gently until all liquid, then stir the butter and biscuit crumbs together. Press this into the bottom of an 8" flan dish.
  3. Mix the whipped cream, cheese and the lime juice and gelatin together in a food blender.
  4. pour / spread this over the biscuit base. Arrange a slice or two of lime on top
  5. Leave in the fridge overnight to set
  6. Enjoy!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.