Monday, April 02, 2012

How much added salt?!


I've been incredibly thirsty this evening. Thinking back I realised that I used a chicken stock cube in my dinner today for the first time in years. Mentioning no names but it has an X in the middle.

I heard a programme on the radio recently and believed that the cubes contained boiled-down animal left-overs plus some dry ingredients. I had a lot of confidence in the name.

I don't have to work it out from 'sodium' content and 'salt equivalent' (whatever that is) because the pack helpfully goes on to tell me that each cube contains 1.59g of salt. The picture above shows that amount.

Even if I added a little salt to my cooking I'd consider that amount ridiculous. Come on, cube people, your pack says "for flavoursome cooking". Let that come from the food itself, not from an unbelievable amount of flavour enhancer.

1 comment:

Kerryhill said...

'sodium content and salt equivalent' - salt is sodium chloride, one atom of each, the mass of the sodium alone is less than for both, manufacturers quote sodium mass because it looks better but the law requires that they also show the equivalent salt mass .